Monday, April 11, 2011

Creating a Heaven on Earth

One of my deeply held ambitions is to create my own little piece of heaven here on earth. For a long time that meant simply "feeling better". More recently I've turned my attention to the process of creating. My job as a computer programmer is all about creating; programming is an ongoing process of experimenting, evaluating, adjusting, then testing, evaluating, and adjusting again until the end is finally achieved. Creating lifts me out of myself and puts me in an entirely different mindset. Instead of worrying about the future I step into the unknown with a spirit of adventure. How will I get from here to there? When things surprise me (and they often do) I respond with curiosity and wonder: What caused that to happen? How might I deal with that? How else can I think about this? There is always something new to learn.

For some reason I don't always apply the creating mindset to my "personal" life. Instead, it is easy to judge myself harshly, be concerned about the reaction of others, and trouble myself over small details. It's easy to fall into the trap of perfection, of being a victim, of believing I'm not good enough.

Can you bring to mind a job, project, activity, or hobby that fully engaged and energized you? What might happen if yo0u applied what you know about creating to the business of creating your life? Instead of remaining frozen in place because things aren't perfect, what if you said of course it won't be perfect the first time I try, so I better get cracking!... I'll take a first step, see what happens, and then adjust as needed.

The writing of Robert Fritz (The Path of Least Resistance, Creating) has reminded me of my desire to create a heaven here on earth. What do I want to bring into the world? What do I have to offer that is unique to me? It's hard to imagine anything more exciting - or worthwhile - than discovering the answers to these questions... and bringing them into being. If you're interested in the idea of creating your life, I'd love to talk with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment